ONE Properties (ONE) is seeking a Director, Multi-Family Operations to join our Property Management team.
ONE is a fully integrated real estate company, creating value through activities spanning acquisition, development, property management and asset management. We leverage our expertise across a range of asset classes in commercial and multi-family real estate. Through our offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto, we partner with institutional investors to create master-planned developments incorporating smart growth principles. Visit www.oneproperties.com to learn more about our company.
Based in Edmonton or Calgary and reporting to the Vice President, Property Management, the Director, Multi-Family Operations is responsible for the overall performance of the multi-family rental properties under management. The Director works with a broad team including Property Managers and finance professionals and acts as a key contact with the owners of each property. They are responsible for driving the financial performance of the residential portfolio while maintaining high service standards for residents.
- Contribute to the development of organization objectives, strategies and programs for effective residential property operations and service standards.
- Work with the Property and Asset Management teams to implement and manage individual site business plans to meet or exceed investment objectives, compliance goals, marketing targets, resourcing plans, and asset quality standards.
- Act as the main point of contact related to all property-related items with owner representatives.
- Prepare business plans, annual operating budgets, and long-range capital budgets for each property for submission to ownership for approval, working in collaboration with the Director, Leasing & Resident Experience to include a specific leasing plan and budget for each property.
- Contribute to regular and ad hoc client reporting. Examples include property status reports, financial and operational reports, leasing reports and capital expenditures.
- Review and approve all property purchasing in accordance with the property management agreement.
- Contribute to revenue management, pricing, and incentive strategies.
- Support marketing activities such as reviewing market comparable and economic information, reviewing weekly lead and follow-up reports, and reviewing screening results and metrics.
- Conduct property inspections at regular intervals as set out in the company’s Standards of Excellence.
- Partner with the Construction team on execution of capital programs, establishing the scope of work, obtaining any necessary approvals from the owner, and maintaining oversight of projects.
- Partner with the Director of Sustainability & Risk Management on insurance, issues preparedness and management, and implementation of sustainability programs.
- Review monthly operating statements to evaluate property performance against the established budget to ensure revenues are optimized and expenses stay within budget, and lead corrective action where needed, balancing budgets without compromising high service standards.
- Ensure accurate and timely records, files and documentation are maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Liaise with the accounting team to ensure accurate accounting and proper procedures are practiced.
- Collaborate across the team to ensure operations and budget items are both captured and allocated correctly for mixed-use properties.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of ONE’s Multi-Family platform, including working on special projects, and finding opportunities for innovation that will enhance property performance.
Development Property Onboarding
- Partner with the Development team during the design phase of new development to review plans and provide input relating to elements that impact ongoing property operations.
- Facilitate process with ONE’s construction and development teams for opening and onboarding the property to ongoing operations.
- Work with construction to monitor progress to ensure periodic schedule review, milestone dates, mandatory reporting, quality standards, and client expectations are met.
- Practice excellent external customer service with residents, working with corporate team leads to ensure that residential property management staff have the resources to complete their responsibilities in a timely and professional manner.
- Action resident feedback and contribute to resolving escalated resident complaints (3rd tier); provide performance coaching to staff – both positive reinforcement and remediation, as needed.
- Review customer service surveys and the follow-up action taken by staff, making further recommendations if necessary.
- Oversee community communications, ensuring professionalism and consistency in messaging.
- Participate in community events, as appropriate.
People and Leadership
- Champion ONE’s core values of integrity, collaboration, and alignment.
- Recruit, motivate, coach, and develop on-site team members, and work with direct reports to help them effectively develop their teams.
- Ensure team members have the right tools to meet performance expectations, communicating ONE’s Standards of Excellence on a regular basis.
- Evaluate performance and staffing levels on a regular basis, considering market and positioning demands, to ensure teams are effectively resourced.
- Facilitate effective communication and connection across their teams through regular meetings, touchpoints, internal communication tools, training seminars, etc.
- An undergraduate degree with a major in a related field preferred.
- A minimum of five to seven years in an occupancy-based business with experience managing lease-ups preferred, and experience in positions with progressively increased responsibility from property manager through multi-property management.
- Experience in managing mixed-use properties required.
- Property opening and lease-up experience preferred.
- Sound understanding of real estate operations as it relates to the management of individual assets, office operations, personnel management, service delivery management and business planning.
- Proficient in a variety of computer software packages including Microsoft Office.
- A criminal verification check is required for employment. Candidates must be bondable.
- There will be some travel required between Edmonton and Calgary.
- Applies excellent judgment in every interaction.
- Has a strong business sense and understanding of real estate market drivers.
- Manages confidential information and matters with appropriate sensitivity.
- An effective leader and role model, who sets a positive tone for the team, with strong interpersonal skills – able to work effectively with the team, residents, peers, contractors, clients, and the public.
- Demonstrates effective project management capabilities and ability to coordinate multiple groups to deliver results within the parameters of the business plan established with the client.
- Able to craft and communicate a business case, using data to support proposals.
- Is highly skilled with excellent verbal and written communication competency.
- Is a self-motivated, driven, and adaptable team player with the ability to lead without being proprietary.
- Has strong conflict-resolution skills.
- Works effectively under pressure; manages time effectively in the context of competing priorities; easily adapt to change and embraces compelling new ideas.
- Understands the value of accuracy, attention to detail and results focus.
- Possesses a high level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence.
What We Offer
- Competitive pay and benefits.
- Opportunities to grow and develop.
- Team-oriented colleagues who share the same core values and priorities.
- Growing business with a positive reputation and commitment to the communities where we operate.
How to apply
If you have the skills, qualifications and expertise, and want to join our growing team, please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations using the following job posting link: https://oneproperties.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=64 or visit the Careers page on our website www.oneproperties.com/careers.
Salary for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.