ONE Properties (ONE) is seeking a Director, Sustainability & Risk Management to join the vibrant, fast-paced property management team in Edmonton, AB.
ONE is a fully integrated real estate company, creating value through activities spanning acquisition, development, property management and asset management. We leverage our expertise across a range of asset classes in commercial and multi-family real estate. Through our offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto, we partner with institutional investors to create master-planned developments incorporating smart growth principles. Visit www.oneproperties.com to learn more about our company.
Reporting to the Vice President of Property Management, the Director, Sustainability & Risk Management will be responsible for creating and implementing environmental sustainability strategies and initiatives that measure performance and achieve green building certifications for all assets under management. This position will also be responsible for the overall Properties Group Risk Management platform for assets under management, assisting the Vice President of Property Management on the annual property insurance placement, as well as reviewing and updating all operational policies with regards to risk management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop the strategy, framework and resourcing for ONE’s Sustainability Platform
- Create and implement ONE’s Sustainability Platform for assets under management, establishing standard sustainable policies for all asset classes
- Measure the effectiveness of the property management’s sustainability strategy, targets, programs, actions and outcomes.
- Contribute to the preparation of annual operating and Capex budgets for sustainability-related initiatives.
Lead execution of benchmarking, certification and rebate programs
- Maintain current knowledge of the various certification program requirements and standards related to sustainability.
- Identify opportunities for participation in various provincial energy benchmarking programs.
- Manage LEED projects and maintain best practices from previous LEED certifications.
- Manage and complete BOMA BEST® building certifications and recertifications.
- Prepare applications and finalize annual ENERGY STAR certifications.
- Manage other sustainability initiatives, where appropriate, such as Change Buildings for Climate, Fitwel®, WELL Building Standard®, Rich Hansen Accessibility Certification™, Living Building Challenge, etc.
- Complete data collection for annual energy and water consumption reporting; Energy Star Portfolio Manager, Energy/Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) in Ontario, Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), etc.
- Review and manage carbon offsets and renewable energy credit purchases.
- Identify and generate the documentation for green building-related rebates, grants and other incentives.
Execute programs to manage/reduce impact engaging stakeholders (internal and external)
- Work closely with the property management, building operations and asset management teams to further sustainability initiatives, complete successful projects, manage ongoing programs and achieve goals in a timely manner.
- Assist Property Managers and Operations Managers in reviewing existing and further investments in systems that monitor energy consumption, develop targets and use data to reduce impact, identify HVAC recommissioning opportunities and implement lighting retrofit programs, etc.
- Establish vendor procurement programs, green custodial programs and service contracts for the respective property portfolios, where applicable.
Report on impact
- Maintain project tracking and complete all required client reporting for the assigned property portfolio(s).
- Engage and communicate with consultants, property managers and other stakeholders on sustainability-related matters including environmental assessments, audits and other administrative matters, encourage sustainable practices and assist with tenant outreach and program development.
- Prepare sustainability communications, presentations
- Partner with Marketing and the SVP Corporate Affairs to support corporate communication on sustainability initiatives and impact.
- Assist on the annual property insurance renewal, ensuring all information is updated by stakeholders.
- Compile information for client’s insurance programs, as requested.
- Assist VP Property Management and SVP Corporate Affairs and CFO in the review and renewal of corporate insurance, including but not limited to general liability insurance, errors and omissions insurance and commercial crime coverage.
- Create and implement Quality Control Protocols for all operational policies, ensuring safety and loss prevention measures are in place for property operations.
- Other duties and projects as required and assigned.
- The incumbent must be a responsible professional who enjoys the variety in the management of sustainable initiatives and projects.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Develop and sustain cooperative working relationships with team members, senior management, stakeholders and clients.
- Exercise confidentiality.
- Self-motivated, professional and flexible mature team player with strong organization and leadership skills.
- Work under pressure and handle multiple demands and competing priorities, adapt to new ideas and constant changes.
- Committed to corporate values of integrity, alignment and collaboration.
- LEED Green Associate is strongly desired.
- Minimum of 10 years of commercial property management industry experience.
- Strong understanding of sustainability issues, measurement/reporting, and translation to industry risk, impact and opportunity.
- Familiar with LEED, BOMA BEST® and other sustainability practices for new and existing buildings.
- General knowledge and ability to interpret applicable commercial building codes and standards.
- Proficient in a variety of computer software packages including Microsoft Office and enterprise resource planning/financial systems, specifically YARDI Voyager.
- A criminal verification check is required for employment.
What We Offer
- Competitive pay and benefits.
- Opportunities to grow and develop skills in multiple disciplines.
- Dynamic co-workers who share the same core values and priorities with a strong dedication to teamwork.
- Customer-service orientation.
- Expanding company with extensive experience, a positive reputation and commitment to the communities where we operate.
How to Apply
If you have the skills, qualifications and expertise, and want to join our growing team, please submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations using the following job posting link:https://oneproperties.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=56 or visit the Careers page on our website www.oneproperties.com/careers.
This job description is a summary of the key position requirements and is not a comprehensive listing. Additional responsibilities, duties and skills may be required for the position.
Salary for this position will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.